The CalTeach 4 Year Academic Programs are designed for undergraduates interested in earning a secondary teaching credential along with their bachelor’s degree.
The links below are sample programs for each degree + single subject teacher credential pathway. For assistance in pursuing one of the degree pathways, contact your student affairs counselor or stop by the CalTeach Resource and Advising Center, Building 515 on the campus map.
- B.S. in Biology/Education with a Secondary Teaching Certification
- B.S. in Chemistry with a Concentration in Chemistry Education with a Secondary Teaching Certification
- B.S. in Earth System Science with a Concentration in Geosciences Education with a Secondary Teaching Certification
- B.A. in Environmental Science with a Concentration in Geosciences Education with a Secondary Teaching Certification
- B.S. in Mathematics with a Concentration in Mathematics Education with a Secondary Teaching Credential
- B.S. in Mathematics with Specialization in Mathematics for Education
- B.S. in Physics with a Concentration in Physics Education with a Secondary Teaching Credential
In addition to degree requirements set by the University, the state of California has a set of single subject teaching credential requirements that must also be completed.
Mathematics Subject Matter Preparation Program (SMPP)
UCI’s state approved subject matter preparation program allows students the opportunity to waive the CSET exam for mathematics by completing a series of coursework. The Mathematics major with a specialization or concentration in mathematics for education has a significant number of courses that overlap with the math SMPP. Please see the School of Education http://education.uci.edu/academic_programs/smpp/math.php website for more information.